Sharp and Savoury Tuna Melt Waffles
A crispy, savoury buttermilk waffle loaded with wild tuna, sharp white cheddar cheese and fresh herbs.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp pepper finely ground
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 300 g Raincoast Trading Wild Albacore Tuna or Raincoast Global Skipjack Tuna 2 tins
- 1 scallion white & green parts chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/3 cup green cabbage minced
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese grated
- 1 egg fried (Optional)
- Preheat the waffle maker.
- To make the waffle batter, combine the first 7 dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. In a smaller bowl, whisk the yolks, buttermilk and oil. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix gently until just combined. Whip the eggs whites until soft peaks form and fold the whites gently in the waffle batter.
- To make the tuna mixture: Combine the tuna, onion, parsley and cabbage. (If using Raincoast Global Skipjack drain can before mixing) Mix well until all incorporated. Reserve some of the tuna mixture for topping the finished waffles.
- To make the waffles: Scoop a small amount of batter (just less than a ⅓ of a cup) onto the preheated waffle iron. Sprinkle a small amount of the tuna mixture over the batter, top with some grated cheese and then another small scoop of batter (this time about 2 tablespoons). Transfer cooked waffles to a cooling rack and serve warm.