Coconut Curry Salmon Towers
Fake the fancy with these Coconut Red Curry Salmon Towers. Hearty and full of fresh flavours
For the coconut rice (you will probably have some leftover):
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup canned light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
For the red curry sauce:
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1/3 cup pureed silken tofu or plain non-dairy yogurt
For the rest:
- 1 Can Raincoast Trading No Salt Added Sockeye Salmon
- 1/4 cup green onions diced,
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 avocado peeled and diced into small cubes
- pea shoots and cooked shrimp to garnish
- sriracha sauce optional
- In a small pot, cook the rice in the water and coconut milk. Place the pot over high heat for 15 minutes, then stir the rice and turn the heat to low. Cover the pot with a lid and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the red curry sauce by blending the tofu (or yogurand curry paste in a blender until completely smooth. Transfer it to a jar or squeezable bottle.
- When the rice has finished cooking, drain any excess liquid and stir in the rice vinegar, which will help make it sticky. Set aside.
- Slice the remaining ingredients as indicated above. In a small bowl, mix together the salmon, green onions and about 3 tbsp of the red curry sauce with a fork.
- Grease a measuring cup with coconut oil or cooking spray. Layer a few cucumber slices in a spiral around the bottom of the cup.
- Next, add enough small avocado pieces to cover the cucumber layer. The cup should be about half full.
- Scoop half of the salmon mixture into the measuring cup and press it down firmly with the back of a fork or the bottom of another measuring cup.
- Finally, fill the remaining space with rice. Again, press it down firmly.
- When ready to serve, quickly flip the measuring cup over onto a plate. Tap the bottom with your hand or the back of a utensil to ensure the cucumber doesn’t get stuck, then gently lift it up.
- Repeat for the second tower.
- Garnish each with shrimp and a few pea shoots. Drizzle leftover red curry sauce on top if desired, and serve.
You may have some ingredients leftover, which can be used to make similar towers in smaller measuring cups.